Monday 14 March 2011

MISSION STATEMENT of my magazine...

This series of publications is all about mental health disorders.  1 in 4 people is a sufferer, yet it is still a subject that is full of misconceptions and prejudices, and therefore is brushed under the carpet.  The aim of this series is to show mental health disorders from the point of view of the sufferer.  This is to try and help people understand these conditions and to not label those who suffer from them.  The magazines are published every 4th month.  This seemed fitting- 1 in 4 months can be our mental health disorder month.  

  
Social anxiety disorder (or social phobia) is a condition in which the individual has an intense fear of social situations resulting in distress and often the avoidance of certain situations.  However, it is a widely misunderstood condition.  I have anxiety disorders.  One of the more intrusive ones being S.A.D.  
I don’t want to be judged but I feel like I am on show.  I cannot stand the feeling of humiliation.  Through CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) I am getting better, but it’s still there and flares up regularly.  It takes a lot to stop yourself sinking back into it and letting the negative thoughts consume your mind. But it’s difficult.  I am known as ‘the quiet one,’ ‘the shy one,’ ‘freak,’ ‘rude, stuck up bitch,’ ‘her over there,’ ‘whatshername,’ ‘lauren who?’  I am either ignored or I am labeled, hence why this magazine is titled 'the L edition'- people never seem to remember me or know my actual name.  This edition focuses on S.A.D from my point of view: how I see it and how I felt going through it throughout the majority of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment